Pikurate is a Public Platform
Pikurate is for both public and private use. Whenever you add Content through Pikurate that is not created as a private display it will be public, and when you provide us with User Content or make User Comments on a non-private Pik it is published so that anyone can view it. Content published and shared publicly is accessible to everyone, including search engines, and you may lose any privacy rights you might have regarding that Content. In addition, information shared publicly may be copied and shared throughout the Internet, including through features native to Pikurate, such as commenting and embedding.
Information We Collect About You
This section of the Policy sets out the personal information that we may collect about you and how we may use this information.
- Account Information
When you create an account on Pikurate, you either provide your email address and password by filling out the form on Pikurate or you authenticate yourself through a third-party service, like Facebook, Google, or LinkedIn. When you authenticate through another site, you link that account with your Pikurate account. Once the accounts are linked, we may collect and store personally identifying information that you have provided to that third party service, and consented to have shared with services like us. Information gathered includes name, email address, avatar, and public data.
We will store your email address and password that you provided to create your Pikurate Account and any information you or we add to your Pikurate account, including your name, handle, bio, profile image and any links you choose to add to your Pikurate account. Where you use a third party site to authenticate your Pikurate account, we do not receive or store passwords for your linked accounts.
Occasionally, we might need to use your email address to email you with important information about our Services. We might need to send you some administrative information, tell you something important about your account or changes to our Services, or update you on new policies or terms. These administrative communications are considered part of our Services and your Pikurate account.
- Third Party Site Information
When you link your Pikurate account with a third party service account, we may get the following information about you from that third party service (if you have provided that information to the third party service and made it available for Pikurate to access): biographical information or your geographic location.
We may also collect, store, and periodically update the contact lists associated with that linked account, so that, for example, we can make it easy for you to connect with your existing contacts from that service who are also on Pikurate. We may store and use this information to improve and personalize Pikurate by using this information to make suggestions to you about Content and Users which may be of interest to you.
You should take care when linking with a third party service account that you have checked (using the third-party service’s settings) that you are comfortable with the information that they will share with us. As a general practice, we strongly urge you to make careful judgments about any personal information you disclose to Internet services, including Pikurate and any third party services you link to us.
- Communications with Us
If you contact us or we contact you with any query or comment about Pikurate or your use of Pikurate, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Surveys and Market Research
We may ask you to complete surveys in connection with your Pikurate Account where we may receive your name, email address, account use information and opinions. We use this personal information for research purposes. We may anonymize this information so it is no longer personal information and use this for our own purposes.
- Technical Information
We may also keep details of your visits to Pikurate including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs Pikurate other communication data, and the resources that you access when you use Pikurate.
We automatically receive and record information from your web browser when you interact with Pikurate. This information may include your browser type and version, what sort of device you are using, your operating system and version, your language preference, the website or service that referred you to Pikurate, the date and time of each web request you make, your screen display information, and information from any cookies we have placed on your web browser.
We may collect information about your device, including where available your IP address, operating system, and browser type, for system administration.
We use this information to fight spam, malware, and identity theft. We also may use it to create a profile of your use of Pikurate and personalize Pikurate for you and to generate aggregate, non-identifying information about how people use Pikurate.
- Information relating to User Content
In some cases, we may collect information by analyzing your User Content. We may do this where you upload a link to Pikurate, by analyzing the content of such link and determining the broad subject matter of such link (such as tech, food, travel, shopping, etc.).
This allows us to improve our Services and provide additional features and functionality.
- Information Relating to Your Use of Pikurate
We collect information about how you use Pikurate, whether you are a Registered User or User. This includes general usage information such as the number and frequency of visitors, which pages or features of Pikurate people have visited, which links on Pikurate they have clicked on and the length of those visits. It also includes details of Users you have followed, Piks you have liked, your activity, the comments you make and the Users you interact with. Some of this information may be associated with the IP Address used to access Pikurate, and some may be associated with your Pikurate account, such as the topics you search for and the help pages that you visit.
We will use this information to help improve Pikurate and identify and fix any issues with Pikurate.
We will also use this information to create a profile of the Content in which you are likely to be interested and suggest Content and Users which we think may be of interest to you (both on Pikurate and by email).
- Location Information
In some cases, we collect and store information about where you are located, such as by converting your IP Address into a rough geolocation. We may use location information to improve and personalize Pikurate Services for you by finding and presenting Content to you which we think will be of interest to you based on your location.
- Information Collected Using Cookies
Like many websites, we use "cookie" technology to collect additional website usage data and to provide you with a good experience when you browse Pikurate. This also allows us to improve Pikurate.
When you create your Pikurate account, and authenticate via a third party service like Google, Pikurate Services may collect, store, and periodically update the contact lists associated with that linked account, so that, for example, we can make it easy for you to connect with your existing contacts from that service who are also on Pikurate.
- Information Collected through Email Tracking
To measure the deliverability and interest of our emails to users, we may embed information, such as a web beacon or tag, in them. This enables us to see which of our emails you have read and clicked-through from so we can analyze the effectiveness of our communications and seek to make these more relevant for you in the future.
What We Do With The Info We Collect
We use the information we collect to provide the Service to you. We commit to showing you Content that’s relevant, interesting and personal to you. In order to do that, it’s necessary for us to use your information to:
- Identify you when you use Pikurate, and process your transactions.
- Recommend Piks, topics or categories you might like based on your activity on Pikurate. For example, if we see you’re into traveling, we may suggest travel Piks, or people that we think you might like or show you travel-related ads.
- Respond to your questions or comments.
In addition and for similar reasons, we have a legitimate interest in using your information in these ways. It is also fundamental to the nature of the Service we provide. In short, it’s necessary for us to do these things in order to make the Service relevant, interesting and personal to you like we promised, and it’s in both of our interests for us to do that.
We also have a legitimate interest to improve Pikurate, maintain our relationship with you, and protect users. We both benefit when we use your information to:
- Suggest other people who have similar interests. For example, if you follow food Piks, we may suggest chefs that you might like.
- Help your friends and contacts find you on Pikurate, if you agree to this in your settings. For example, if you sign up using a Facebook account, we can help your Facebook friends find you on Pikurate when they first sign up for Pikurate. Or, people can search for your account on Pikurate using your email.
- Conduct analytics on who is using Pikurate and what they are doing. For example, by logging how often people use two different versions of a feature on Pikurate, we can understand which version is better.
- Improve Pikurate and offer new features.
- Send you updates (such as when certain activity, like saves or comments, happens on Pikurate) and news by email or push notification, depending on your settings. For example, we send weekly updates that include Piks you may like.
- Work with law enforcement and keep Pikurate safe. We may get requests for account information from law enforcement authorities like the police or courts.
We have a legitimate interest in delivering ads that are relevant, interesting and personal to you in order to generate revenue (providing this Service is expensive) To further these interests we use the information we collect to:
- Tell our ad partners how their Pikurate ads are doing, and how to make them better. Some of this information is aggregated. For example, we would report to an advertiser that a certain percentage of people who viewed a Sponsored Pik went on to visit that advertiser's site. In other instances, this information isn’t aggregated. For example, we would let an advertiser know that a particular Sponsored Pik has been contributed to by certain people.
- Tell our ad partners the types of products you might be interested in. For example, if you create a Pik dedicated to things to do, we can tell an event organizer that you’re more interested in one type of event over another. This helps us and our ad partners to make sure that the content and ads you see are relevant to you.
We have a legitimate interest in using the information we collect to customize your Pikurate experience based on your offsite behavior. For example, if you visit websites to learn programming, we may suggest coding Piks to you. When we identify your interests based on your offsite behavior with cookies, we will obtain any consent we may need.
In addition to the specific circumstances above, we’ll only use your information with your consent in order to:
- Send you marketing materials by email, text or push notification, depending on your account or operating system settings. Each time we send you marketing materials, we give you the option to unsubscribe.
- Identify your location and customize the content we show you. You can opt into this in your device operating system settings.
- Identify you across different browser sessions. This means if you log into Pikurate from your phone (or any device), we’ll remember that you're you and you won't need to enter your login details each time you visit Pikurate.
Sharing Your Information
We never share information we receive from you unless:
- We have your permission to share that information; or
- We have given you prior notice that the information will be shared, and with whom; or
- That information is aggregate information or other information that does not identify you.
- Information You Share with Third Party Services
Our content platform enables you to access third party services through Pikurate Services. For example, Users can embed externally-pointing links in their content; Users can click on those links to reach other sites and services. We also enable Users to share information that you provide to us or embed a Pik into a third party site, like posts and comments, with other services. For example, Users may share posts on Twitter and Facebook.
- Information We Share with Our Agents and Third Parties
In some circumstances, we might share your information that we store, like IP addresses, with our third party service providers for the purposes of operating and improving Pikurate Services. Those third parties might include:
- Our help desk/technical services provider
- Our email and website hosts.
- Our professional advisors (lawyers, accountants, surveyors, tax advisers etc.).
When we share information with service providers, we have appropriate contractual protections in place with them. Unless we tell you differently, our service providers will not have any right to use personal information or any other information we share with them beyond the scope and duration of what is necessary to assist us.
We may share or disclose non-private information, aggregate information, or other non-personal information with people and entities with which we are doing business.
- Information Disclosed Pursuant to Business Transfers
We may buy or sell business assets. In these transactions, user information is typically one of the transferred business assets. Likewise, if we, or substantially all of our assets, get acquired, or if we go out of business or enter bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur and that any acquirer of us or our assets may continue to use your personal information as set forth in this policy.
- Information Disclosed for Our Protection and the Protection of Others
Choices You Have About Your Info
You may choose to edit the Personal Information that is in your Pikurate account so that different or less information is available to be viewed. To remove other Personal Information that may not be visible in your account, you may contact us with a request that we delete your Personal Information from our database or remove other information that you no longer wish to include as part of the Services. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request.
We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. When you receive messages from us, you may indicate a preference to stop receiving further communications from us and you will have the opportunity to “unsubscribe”. We may, however, still send you administrative messages regarding the Services. If a child between the ages of 13 and 18 wishes to erase or delete any information that he or she has included or shared via the Services, please contact us and we will promptly comply.
Our Policy on Children’s Information
Children under 13 are not allowed to use Pikurate. If you are based in the EEA you may only use Pikurate if you are over the age at which you can provide consent to data processing under the laws of your country or if verifiable parental consent for your use of Pikurate has been provided to us. If you are a parent and you learn that your child is using Pikurate and you don't want them to, please contact us.
Where and How Long Do We Keep Your Info
Pikurate is located in the United States. Accordingly, Personal Information we collect may be transferred to and stored in our servers or those in Third Parties that act on our behalf (such as hosting providers) in the United States or other countries outside of the European Economic Area. By using the Services you agree to such collection, transfer, and storage outside of the European Economic Area or other territories where the information may have been collected.
How Secure Is The Information
You should be aware that while we endeavor to take industry standard administrative, physical, and technological measures to maintain the security of your Personal Information, we are not able to fully eliminate all security risks or potential breaches.
By using Pikurate and Services or providing Personal Information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of Pikurate and Services. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on Pikurate or sending an e-mail to you. You may have the legal right to receive this notice in writing.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding Pikurate’s privacy policies and practices, please send us a note.